Paperback, 160 pages
Published June 17th 2015 by DC Comics
Welcome to Gotham Academy, the most prestigious school in Gotham City. Only the best and brightest students may enter its halls, study in its classrooms, explore its secret passages, summon its terrifying spirits…
Okay, so Gotham Academy isn’t like other schools. But Olive Silverlock isn’t like other students. After a mysterious incident over summer break, she’s back at school with a bad case of amnesia, an even worse attitude…and an unexplained fear of bats.
Olive’s supposed to show new student Maps Mizoguchi the ropes. Problem: Maps is the kid sister of Kyle, Olive’s ex. Then there’s the ghost haunting the campus…and the secret society conducting bizarre rituals.
Can Olive and Maps ace the biggest challenge of their lives? Or are they about to get schooled?
- Read this.
- Seriously, I’m not just saying things. I mean it. Go put it on hold at the library or ask your librarian to buy it.
- Okay fine, that sounds really imperious, right? Sorry. I mean, if you like comics and want something that will fill you with glee, Gotham Academy should be your choice.
- Glee is very important, you know?
- Not the TV show.
- There is diversity, there is a compelling protagonist, there is a boarding school (!!), and there is a sort of super-hero with a sidekick who wins everything, and the story is pretty darn fascinating.
- Maps and Olive make the best pair of misunderstood crime-fighting semi-criminals (not that they’d agree with this assertion) ever.
- Also, this contains my most favourite in existence ever: that of the mean girl slowly becoming friends with the protagonist.
- And, Batman is kinda the villain? I don’t really like him (rich white guys fighting crime as they define it never worked for me) so I didn’t have any problem with it.
- The comic may also deal with evil and good in interesting ways that will become more fleshed out as the series progresses but at this point, I am totally invested in finding out more about Olive, Maps, Olive’s mother, and the world they live in.
- The art is also fantastic.
- So…read this?