… or characters that others don’t get but you love! Have at! If this is your first TTT, well, it’s a meme by The Broke And The Bookish and we’re just joining in on the fun. What would your top ten look like? Let us know in the comments! 🙂
I don’t have a list, honestly. I just have one character that almost everyone I know seems to adore but who leaves me puzzled and less than impressed. Celaena Sardothien, the protagonist of Throne of Glass by Sara Maas. That’s about it.
I have a sneaking sympathy for Severus Snape, whom I’m pretty sure the other Book Warriors despise, which I don’t entirely understand; I think it exists because of the glimpses we get of his childhood and because JKR gave him a redemption arc, albeit one mostly behind the scenes (see ccollinsmith’s posts).
This is my list of characters people seem to love and I just … don’t:
- Snape from Harry Potter: He’s interesting to read, don’t get me wrong. I just don’t get all the love. No doubt I will have people falling over themselves to explain it to me now. *edges away*
- Levi from Fangirl: He’s fine. He’s not bad at all. He’s just not very captivating either? (FOR ME OKAY CALM DOWN.)
- Baz from Carry On: Okay, maybe there’s something wrong with me because I didn’t particularly love Baz either. I enjoyed reading him through Penny and Simon’s lens, but his own POV? *shrug* It wasn’t bad. It just didn’t blow my mind, either.
- Helene from Ember in the Ashes: I mean, I actually quite liked Helene, but maybe not enough to commit to some kind of fan celebration–which, judging by Tahir’s tumblr, is overwhelmingly about Helene? For some reason? Who knows, I may join in after the second book.
- Jordan from The Mortal Instruments: It’s all kind of complicated, because of the fantasy aspect of things, but nevertheless Jordan’s relationship with my fave Maia creeps me out! And even without the complications, Jordan is kind of bland. Now, Bat Velasquez? That guy needs a whole short story to himself. Maybe several short stories. He has but a few lines in the series, but he makes them count. <3