Hello, hello! Welcome to the second discussion post–covering Parts 2 & 3–for Sarah Rees Brennan’s “Unspoken” readalong!
Alright, we’re barely past the midpoint of this book, so I’m going go ahead and say that there is still time to run to your shelf or library and join us on the roller coaster of emotions that is The Lynburn Legacy.
For those who have no clue what they’ve walked into, here’s a synopsis:
Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met … a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.
But all that changes when the Lynburns return.
The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him? — [X]
- What did you think about Kami and Jared’s connection? How do you think this magic is affecting the way they communicate when they’re actually around each other?
- Related: what kind of mis/communication do you foresee for these two? And do these missing dialogues and narratives remind you of any other characters in classic gothic stories? (If you’ve read ahead, then maybe spare others the spoilers for this one. I’m just interested in speculations right now!)
- I find it interesting, that despite being connected in a more conventional way–i.e. familial bonds–Kami’s mother hides things from her and Jared’s mother keeps her own secrets. It automatically makes a team of Kami and Jared, even without their strange connection, don’t you think?
- How do you see Jared and Ash now after “The Other Lynburn” chapter? Who do you feel is the “other”, having finished reading Parts 2 & 3?
- Jared is terrible at rescuing people, but is a pretty fun companion if you’re to be stuck in a well? (I just like the banter between these two.)
- We are introduced to Kami and Jared’s respective parents. They are all pretty awkward and secretive, except for Kami’s father who is my favourite YA dad and can stay forever.
- Kami is way too good at B&E/stealing/plotting, so it’s a relief that she’s on Team Good.
- Holly is pretty much part of the gang now that Angela has accepted her. U_U Plus, she is a badass and can pretty much save herself if the situation required it.
- Poor, poor Nicola! 🙁
“You are a god,” Kami told him.
“All I ask in return is your eternal reverence and worship,” Dad said. “Also, it would be nice if you did the ironing occasionally.”
See why I love Jon Glass? (Fun fact: another one of his quotes from this book made me write a whole post on lipgloss, oops?)
“Hark,” he said, his tone very dry. “What stone through yonder window breaks?”
Kami yelled up at him, “It is the east, and Juliet is a jerk!”
You have to love how Kami never lets things fester. So, the Boy doesn’t let her into his manor? Well, instead of feeling rejected and stewing in anger, just toss a “pebble” through his bedroom window.
I beg you not to throw down with Angela, said Kami.
I know you want us to get on, Jared replied. But–
She’ll beat you down until you cry. I’ll be so embarrassed for you.
That’s right, child, don’t mess with my daughter Angela. <3
And that’s all for now! Let us know what you think about Parts 2 & 3 in the comments section! And stay tuned for next week’s post on Parts 4 & 5!
TO BE LINKED: Posts , , , and .