Look, life is too short and sometimes we just have to put a book down before we’re done reading it.
I don’t DNF a lot of books, but I’ve stopped mid-series recently, does that count?
- The Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray: As much as I enjoyed the first book, I guess I didn’t love it enough to read the rest?
- The Ember Quartet by Sabaa Tahir: I liked the first one, but again, I ended up prioritizing other series. I don’t even have a good excuse.
- The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer: I mean, I got all the way to Winter and I just couldn’t be bothered?
- Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet [Vol. 1] by Ta-Nehisi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze: I loved Roxane Gay’s World of Wakanda and Nnedi Okorafor’s first volume of the Long Live The King run, but I couldn’t get into this one.
BONUS! As much as I rave about Carry On by Rainbow Rowell (IT’S WHAT I WANTED FROM HARRY POTTER OKAY), I doubt I will bother with the sequel that was just announced, even if I really adore Kevin Wada’s illustrations. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oh boy, I just have to take a walk down this path of shame. Well, let’s get on with this. Here are a few of the books I couldn’t make myself finish.
- Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson
I couldn’t get over the fact that this book was set in India and didn’t engage at all with what it meant to be Indian. There was no sense of the place and its people…and it turns out with good reason. Suffice it to say, the story lost me very early on.
- The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa
I was just annoyed that the human love interest kept on making the MC feel bad about herself. He doesn’t like that she is a monster and she feels bad about being one. I didn’t feel like sticking around to see if she stayed true to her nature or tried to change herself for a boy. Pft.
- Flamecaster by Cinda Williams Chima
I don’t think I will ever forgive Chima for what she did to Hans. Ever. *still bitter* *forever bitter*
- The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco
I was not going to stick around to finish a book clearly prejudiced against Muslims. Subtext yeah, but it was pretty loud. Nope.
- The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
I was so disappointed I couldn’t get into this one. I still don’t understand why.
This is a hard one. If I don’t like a book enough to finish it, I usually don’t remember it. Like Yash, I’ll also go with series that I intended to read:
- The Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray. One of my best friends in high school loved these books and
kindly and forcefully pressed them into my handslent me the first. (Sorry, Marie.)
- The Liar Society series by Lisa Roecker and Laura Roecker.
- The Shadowhunters books/world by Cassandra Clare. (Sorry, Yash.)
- Of Two Minds series by Perry Nodelman and Carol Matas.
- Loki’s Wolves series by K. L. Armstrong and M. A. Marr. My notes inform me that I read the sequel, Odin’s Ravens, before DNFing, which is more than I remember.
- The Heir series by Cinda Williams Chima. Read books one through four but not the fifth. (Sorry, Nafiza.)
- Traitor’s Blade books by Sebastien de Castell. VERY mixed feeling about the first book; didn’t touch the second.